These make the perfect cut out cookies for decorating!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- Preheat oven to 350° and line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Cream butter and sugar together for 1-2 minutes
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined
- Combine the baking powder and flour and slowly add it to the bowl until combined, about 1/2 cup at a time. The dough will be super thick and you will need to scrape the sides and bottom to ensure its fully incorporated
- Lay parchment paper on the counter and place dough on top. Lay plastic wrap on top of dough to prevent sticking and roll out to 1/4-3/8 of an inch thickness
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place on the cookie sheet
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until the edges are just slightly turning light brown and allow them to cool fully before decorating
* depending on the fat content of your butter, I have found some variability in the amount of flour the dough can hold. Start with 2 1/4 and slowly add in the remaining flour one tablespoon at a time. When the dough starts to break up into smaller chunks, like sand, stop adding.